Tuesday, October 1, 2013

learning patience

If there is one thing I've learned being a parent, it's that kids have their own ideas about when they should learn things, and it's really in your best interest to follow their lead on that one.  If you try to force them into a new stage too quickly...good luck!  If you try to stop them from achieving a new milestone...good luck!

We're beginning to run into a "slow down!" milestone around here.  This girl has decided that trying to go potty is a great thing to try right now.
While some of you might think I'm crazy for wanting to wait, (seeing as I have two in diapers and goodness knows that's not a cheap endeavor) I can assure you that right now is not what I was planning in my mind.  (Shame on me for once again thinking I can control things like this!!!)

We live in a small rental with carpet everywhere.  Yes, everywhere.  Bathroom and kitchen included.  I ask you, where do you have your child run when they have to go potty in a house with no where that is, shall we say, "spill proof"?  I might just resort to putting her potty in the tub and making her jump in every time she has to go...hahaha. 

I had really hoped to wait until next May when we'll either be moving to a new house, or a different rental that has more child friendly features in the kitchen and bathroom.  But, when a toddler tells you they want to go potty, the worst thing you could do would be to try to dissuade them.  So, this is what our house looks like today...

So far, she hasn't gotten to the potty soon enough to make it in, but she's learning to start running there when she has to go.   Most of the time it's when #2 is half way done and she looks at me, startled, and yells..."poop!" Then she makes a beeline for the toilet.  So, she's still in a diaper, but after running to the toilet at least 5 times in 2 hours and having to deal with taking the pants on and off, we opted to make the process a little easier.

Here's to learning a little more patience and beginning to let go of my "plan, plan, plan" personality.  (I think I have learned that lesson every single day since becoming a parent almost two years ago, but it's still hard for me to swallow.)

And now, a few pictures for your enjoyment.

Every night when we get into our PJs, as she's taking off her shirt, she leaves it like this on her head and proudly declares.."hat!"  Every. Single. Night.  I can't let this stage pass without remembering it.

Ahh!  I can never get over those eyes of hers-absolutely no touch ups on this one.  That's all her.  Don't mind the rash around her mouth-little food allergy folks.  Here she is rolling her eyes because I asked her to pose for another picture.  I've been wanting to get an eye roll on camera FOR EVER!  I have no idea where she got this from because I've never seen Nate do it, and he says I don't.

Acting like a baby.   Every once in awhile, she climbs onto my lap and wants me to hold her like I hold Brigham-and of course, she has to suck on her pretend bottle. 

She has a current obsession with money.  So every once in awhile, I get some change out of my wallet and let her play with it.  Occupied her for 20 minutes.  I can get a lot of house work done in 20 minutes!

I let her pick out this treat bucket at the store the other day and she has carried it around with her EVERYWHERE since she's had it.  Every few seconds she says "trick-or-treat".  You can bet she'll be ready when the time comes.

The child is still trying to get teeth. 

She didn't want to take any more pictures, I persuaded her by telling her I wanted to get pictures of her "puppy" and treat bucket.  This is her best pose when she wants to be done.

Some people stick out their tongue when they concentrate.  Not Eden.  No, she looks really concerned and purses her lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment