Thursday, July 25, 2013

IKEA and photography.

I love IKEA.  Let me say it again.  I love IKEA.  Those of you who know me well, know that I am obsessed with organizing and decorating (although my budget may not allow you to see my awesome ideas in action).  Thus, walking through IKEA for a whole day makes me as giddy as a little girl riding a pony.  But as much as I loved it, I think the wee one loved it even more- at least the children's portion.  We were there for at least an hour playing in all of the different rooms and I had to drag her away while she cried when we had to leave.  I always hoped she would be my partner in crime in the shopping department.  I'm thrilled about it I tell you, my life just got so much better.

Also, I'm taking an online photography course right now so there are a few pictures that I wanted to post to keep myself accountable for my work.  I haven't touched these ones up yet...that could take awhile.  I was focusing on different perspectives in this shoot, not so much touching them up yet-so please enjoy them as such.

The entrance into the kid's rooms.  This alone occupied at least 20 minutes.  What little girl wouldn't love a tunnel with streamers? Framing Shot.  Would've been much better had I straightened the shot up so that the arch was perfectly centered in my lense.  It would've been a more powerful shot.  I'll have to see if I can fix that in Photoshop.

When this girl finds a stuffed animal, you better watch out.  And when it's a stuffed animal dog...you may as well set up camp and whip out the s'mores...you'll be there awhile. Higher Perspective. Here I'm trying to give the viewer a sense that they are looking down into a little girls' dream land. 

Hiding perspective.  Trying to convey the feeling that you are peeking in on a moment in a child's day without the child seeing you. 

Another hidden perspective shot.  I love this one.  Yes, she really is as sweet as she appears on camera.  I wish I had been a little more "hidden" to give the feeling that she couldn't see me.

Brigham was a champ and slept the whole time.  Here is a shot using both the hidden perspective as well as "framing".  I'm shooting through the bars of the shopping cart.  Yes the blurry lines on either side of his face were on purpose:) However, if I could've centered him between the bars, it would've been more powerful.  Although, may have looked more like he was in jail.  We'll never know because I didn't do it;)

When I told her it was time to go.  'Nuff said. "Higher Perspective" This shot is great because as a parent this is exactly how I view my child when she's crying.  If I had done an eye level perspective it may have communicated how tragic she was feeling at the time.

Eden's dream chair.  A seat just her size that also doubles as a peek-a-boo chair.  What more could you want? (Eye level perspective)

 Eden found this table and spent quite a while setting and unsetting (new word) the table. I will be blurring the background in this picture so that there is more focus on her, but I wanted to get a wide perspective so that you could see the whole table. 

Stacking cups.  Lower perspective shot-depicting how grown up she felt at the moment.


Having a pretend drink.  Higher perspective shot.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you can go to IKEA. So Jealous. I'm sure Chloe would have been right there With Eden.. and we never would have been able to get them to leave! Your photography is looking so great! I wish I knew how to do that kind of stuff. Do you have a fancy camera, or can you do some of those tricks with a normal one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a nice one, but you can do all of the things that I was working on here with a normal point and shoot. Also, I waited the whole time till I moved here to be able to go to IKEA. Lovely small town life (and my small town was a city compared your yours:)) didn't allow for anything like that.

    If you're ever in town long enough to want to go, we'd join you! We could just let the girls go crazy for an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete