Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Almost Photoshoot

Photography Lesson #1: Don't have a set image of how you want a picture to look when you photograph your kids.  It won't turn out that way.  Just go with the flow and take what you can get.

My mom's birthday was this week and my plan was to take a beautiful picture of my two kids to put in a frame that she has for pictures of her grandchildren.  The frame only has 3 slots, and now she has four grandkids, so I thought a combined picture of my kids would fit the bill perfectly.

However, on the only night I had free to take their pictures, Eden was in a mood like you can't believe and by the time I calmed her down, Brigham was getting hungry.  Also, remember how big Brigham is?  Eden can't hold him.  This makes taking a picture of the two of them kind of difficult.  (Feel free to share any fun poses you think would work for siblings that are this young.  I need to do some research in that area.)

Here's what our photoshoot looked like...

After trying to get her to hold him on her lap, I resorted to telling her to hug him...yeah.

"Eden, look at Mom, look at Mom, look at Mom.  Brigham, try not to look so drunk.  Nate, try to shadow them more." Nothing.

Okay, but that's only one of you.

I'll take it! I just need to fix it up in photoshop.

I'll take it again.  And maybe people will think Brigham was sleeping peacefully, not just that he closed his eyes in the picture. 

"Eden, kiss Brigham."  "Oh man!  I looked away and totally missed it!"

"Kiss him again for Mommy. Okay...I guess we'll take you smooshing your cheek up against Brighams mouth as a kiss from him."

Nate being the prop to hold Brigham up.

Eden, look at Mommy!  Eden look at Mommy! No?  Okay, we'll just take it like this.

"No, you can't look at the picture yet.  Can you smile for Mommy and then I'll let you see it?"  Oh, you're just going to keep whinning until I show you?  I should have known!

Eden, look at Mommy. Eden, look at Mommy.  (Enter crazy dance moves and delightful noises to try to get her attention.)Well, okay, we'll document your beautiful hair and hope that everyone thinks I meant to capture just your hair.

Even Nate gave up after a few minutes.



I'll touch some of these up in photoshop to see if I can make some of them work...and mostly I'll just be laughing at how my perfect photoshoot idea was a hilarious flop.  Joke's on me for thinking my 1 1/2 year old and my 2 month old would hold perfectly still and smile at the same time for their crazy mother at dinner time.  Don't let yourself fall for the same idea.  Here are some thoughts for my next try...

       1. Take the pictures right after dinner.
       2. Bring along some new toys/objects to get their attention
       3. Bring a boppy to prop Brigham up on (covered with something pretty of course)
       4. Don't wear a skirt!  This will allow me to get down on their level and capture some moments better.  The picture of Eden pushing Brig's tummy may have had some potential had I been at a different angle.

1 comment:

  1. We had a very similar experience trying to take pictures of our kids. I ended up taking a picture of each of them and photoshopping them together.

    ReplyDelete