Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February: The power of LOVE

I am so excited to be able to focus on "Love" this month.  We think about it in February anyway and when I wake up to these faces everyday, how can I not love motherhood?


I mean, come on.  How wouldn't be reminded to kiss those chubby cheeks and squeeze those little leg rolls.  I know almost no one who can resist cuddling a just-bathed-and-smelling-delicious-baby and the whole reason toddlers make it through to adulthood is because their adorableness (yes, I just said that) more than makes up for the frustration they cause us.

I'll give more quotes to follow, but I loved this one from the book to get me going.  It actually quotes another book Biology of Love by Dr. Arthur Janov and states "Hugs and kisses during critical periods [of child development] make neurons grow and connect properly with other neurons."  Then Deliberate Mothering author Saydi Shumway adds "Essentially, you can kiss a child's brain into maturity."

Goodness, I love that.  Of course, there are many aspects and different ways of looking at Love.  But for today, it means hugs and kisses and cuddles. Somehow, when I'm focusing on that, the tantrums feel a little more doable.

I've always known with Eden that she mirrors my mood.  Her little spirit is so sensitive to other people.  She has always been a sympathy crier and as a two year old recognizes and verbalizes how people are feeling in books, and around her.  When I get frustrated with her, she just gets frustrated and acts out more.  When I choose to hug her and tell her that I love her (and that's harder than it sounds when she's just drawn on Brigham's high chair, after I've already disciplined her for drawing on the wall, the dishwasher, and the toilet within the same hour), her frustration seems to melt away and then she can actually internalize what I'm telling her.  So happy February, self!  Just LOVE those kids of yours.  And don't forget about that amazing husband either!

No comments:

Post a Comment