Thursday, March 27, 2014

Being Present



Sometimes there is so much going on, so many things for me to pay attention to, that I can't focus on anything and suddenly, nothing gets done and no one got the attention they needed from me.  This week has been a little hectic to say the least.  We're considering a home, I had 4 sisters to visit teach (that's what I get for procrastinating until the last week of the month), a pack meeting to plan and attend,  a few trainings to do, home visits for our primary kids, fitting in seeing the home and meeting with agents and lenders, Nathan is coaching ultimate frisbee, so he's had two games and practices on the days they haven't had games, both kids are sick (temps of about 100 and wanting to be held all day), paperwork to complete, people to call, and errands to run in order to get the necessary documentation completed.  We've been a little stressed. 

Today I looked at those sweet babies of mine with their hot, sweaty hair pressed against my once cleaned shirt, snot and tears drenching my shoulders, needing so badly to be loved; and I realized that while my arms were around them, my mind was so far away and my blood pressure was rising thinking of everything I should be doing.  Now, this week, there is a lot to do, and all of it is important, I can't spend all of my time being present with my children.  But I could spend some time totally present, couldn't I?  I could turn off my brain and know that right now is mommy time, and everything else can wait.

I heard this quote on a powerofmoms.com podcast.  "Being present means that my mind and heart are where my feet are."  I'm sure working on that.  Working on having specific moments during the day when I'm not only playing with my children, I'm THINKING about playing with them, drinking in the moment, capturing a picture with my heart, really being with them: being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment