Friday, January 10, 2014

serves me right

My mother always said, "Be careful what you pray for".  Meaning that often, when we pray for patience, for example, life gets pretty darn crazy so that we have to practice.

Well, remember that awesome plan I had about how dinner time was going to go more smoothly because I had systems in place to help with the chaos?  JOKE IS ON ME!  Let me paint for you the picture of what happened that very night at dinner time.

Nathan coaches a high school frisbee team in our area and they have practice every Wednesday, so he doesn't get home until about 6:30pm (not bad, but most days he's home by around 4:30pm, so for us that's late.  Brigham was cutting a tooth, so he didn't take an afternoon nap.  He was getting pretty cranky when I heard Eden wake up around 4:15.  I let her play for a few minutes while I put some finishing touches on my preparations for dinner (you know, so that everything would go seamlessly).   I went in to get her around 4:30pm and the moment I walked in, I knew I had an adventure waiting for me.  The smell was TERRIBLE.  I walked around the corner so that I could see her and noticed a very mysterious dark brown smear across her face and mouth.  My first question..."Did you eat poop?"  "Yeah, Mmmmm!" was her response, though she looked a little like she might cry.  As I surveyed the scene further I found to my dismay, that she had taken EVERY book to her bed (which had been smeared with the loveliness) this means that every children's book we own was now covered in poop.





After a few hours of work, the bed was clean as can be and smelling fresh and lovely.  No use crying over spilled milk.

She was painted in the stuff, I won't go into details, but just know that a LONG bath was needed.  Please keep in mind that Brigham was screaming away, because he was already fussy and now I had to ignore him to deal with more pressing matters.  I am so grateful that my mind has been focused on the power of acceptance because I had a decision to make, I could either let myself get frustrated that my perfect day was ruined, or I could ACCEPT that this was a reality in my life right now.  I couldn't change what had happened.  All I could do was teach Eden not to do it again, clean up as quickly as possible and move on.

During Eden's bath we talked about what she could do if she got a messy diaper again during her nap time (she knows she can't get out of her bed during nap time, so I think that was the real problem.  She knew she needed help, but she also knew she was supposed to stay in her bed.) Then I put her in her high chair with a snack and show to entertain her so that I could clean like crazy.  Normally she helps me clean any mess she makes, but at this point, I had already cleaned her up and I didn't want to do that again.  So I had her wipe some of the books off with a Clorox wipe (after I had already cleaned them).

While she was in her high chair, I stuck the screaming Brigs in a front back to calm him down and went to town.  Nothing like trying to clean with a whining baby strapped to your front.  Nathan walked in the door right as I finished putting her new sheets on her bed and didn't know whether to laugh or just hug me as I told him the story.  Needless to say, I am still mourning the loss of the books that I had to throw away. 

But hey, when I finally got to dinner prep, the table was set:)

No comments:

Post a Comment